What is Family & Consumer Science?
Education empowering individuals and families across the lifespan to manage the challenges of living and working in a global society.
FCS has a unique focus on families, work, and the interrelationships. Family and Consumer Science is the 2nd largest CTE program in Kentucky. There are over 45,000 students enrolled statewide.
The Mission Statement of Family and Consumer Science education is to prepare students for family life, work life, and careers in Family and Consumer Science by providing opportunities to develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviors for ...
- Strengthening the well-being of individuals and families across the life span;
- Becoming responsible citizens and leaders in family, community, and work settings;
- Promoting optimal nutrition and wellness across the life span;
- Managing resources to meet the material needs of individuals and families;
- Balancing personal, home, family, and work lives;
- Using critical and creative thinking skills to address problems in diverse family, community, and work environments;
- Successful life management, employment, and career development;
- Functioning effectively as providers and consumers of goods and services;
- Appreciating human worth and accepting responsibility for one's actions and success in family and work life.
"I teach students about life ... I teach Family & Consumer Science."
~ Kentucky FCS Teacher